Network software automation and intelligence is a passion we share as network engineering software developers at Intelligent Visibility, Inc. Creating innovative software solutions in the rising world of software-defined networking (SDN) can prove challenging. The source data that we require for our software is mostly located within the network device’s operating system. In the past accessing this source data has been a serious time investment mainly due to inconsistent API implementation types across different operating systems for many different hardware platforms.
We recognized Arista’s innovation immediately once we began testing the eAPI. The Arista EOS eAPI is a technically modern RESTFUL API that is robust and consistent among ONE operating system no matter which Arista platform we accessed. This is a major advantages and it also may be one of the most underrated publicized EOS features in my opinion.
The Arista® Navigator is Intelligent Visibility’s first software solution designed exclusively for Arista EOS interoperability. The Arista® Navigator is a beautiful, yet powerful software tool designed for supporting Arista® network infrastructures. The Arista® Navigator reduces troubleshooting analysis time by visually providing intelligent access to Arista® information. and offers many advantageous features such as:
- Retina enabled graphical user interface
- eAPI command line tool enabling easy and secured access to CLI output
- Report center with proactive graphical reports designed for engineering and CIO levels
- Arista TAC Assistant for gathering vital system support files a breeze in a fraction of the time
– Initial Connection – Dashboard View:
Once you connect to any Arista EOS device you will see detailed information on the dashboard above the navigation toolbar.
– eAPI Command Line Tool: Easily send commands:
This tool has become a convenience tool as you can send one command or multiple commands. We also have the ability to send the results to a printer or to a pdf.
– Report Center: Device Profile Report :
The Report Center is a complete reporting structure designed from the ground up by Intelligent Visibility. We have the ability to use over 50 different visual graphing for data representations. Currently version 2.0.3 has the Device Profile Report which will provide great insight into any Arista platform. The Report Center provides dropbox integration, export as pdf, and send to email.
– TAC Assistant: Retrieve the most commonly asked for support files with a click:
Personally I have spent over 40 minutes during one TAC case collecting different files asked for by the TAC engineer over the course of the case. I am a savvy linux user and it still took quite a bit of time to collect these files. The TAC Assistant tool was born from the necessity of decreasing the amount of time wasted during this process.
The Arista Navigator version 2.0.6 is the initial public launch for this tool that will be available from the Apple Mac Store once approved. We have a new feature backlog that we will begin to integrate every major release. Here are a few items from our new feature backlog:
- Arista Navigator: LANZ Analysis Tool – This tool will correlate the number of LANZ segments buffered with the amount of segments dropped while tempering these results with interface counter statistics. The LANZ Analysis tool will be a visual tool with the sole intent of showcasing the value of the Arista EOS LANZ feature.
- Arista Navigator: Iperf Tool – Arista’s EOS comes with iperf preloaded which is a fantastic tool for stressing bandwidth links along with testing links for latency. The Iperf tool will visually allow testing to be easily controlled by one graphical interface.
- More Reports! – Our Report center structure only has one report as of 2.0.3 and we plan on making many more reports based on our feedback. Reports may be one of our most valuable features, however the value is in the eye of the beholder. Please let us know what report types would benefit you.
- Session preservation – We will save all all or a portion of your work performed in the Arista Navigator to a sqlite database. This will allow anyone the ability to recall work from previous sessions.
In conclusion, our development with the Arista Navigator using the EOS eAPI is just the tip of the iceberg for Intelligent Visibility as we are spending research and development time on the Arista SDK to further our ability to gain Arista EOS intelligence. Arista’s EOS architecture is truly extensible on many different levels and we are proud to share our experiences from a software development standpoint.
Arista Navigator is now available on the Apple Mac Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arista-navigator/id969163007?mt=12