Posted on April 23, 2020 10:18 pm
 |  Asked by Kevin Malone
RESOLVED
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

We purchased a 7010t to do some r&d testing in the lab.  I got it installed, updated the firmware to “EOS-4.23.0F.swi” which is the same were running in production and put a basic OSPF configuration on it.  I then added the switch to librenms monitoring and noticed it warned about the memory being maxed out.  There is almost nothing running on the switch but the memory appears to be maxed out…

Both top and meminfo show the same as librenms indicating the memory is maxed, but when I do a “show version” it displays an appropriate amount of free memory.  Am I missing something here or is this normal behavior on the 7010 platform?

Uptime: 0 weeks, 1 days, 20 hours and 4 minutes
Total memory: 3990960 kB
Free memory: 2675440 kB

Posted by Tamas Plugor
Answered on April 23, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi Kevin,

EOS is running on top of Fedora/CentOS, so the rules for RAM usage in linux apply here too, meaning the system will borrow unused memory for buffering and caching, so to calculate the free memory you have to subract the used ram from the total ram and add the buffer and cached memory to it. The following article explains this in more detail:

https://eos.arista.com/memory-utilization-of-eos-devices/

HTH,

Tamas

Posted by Kevin Malone
Answered on April 24, 2020 7:19 pm

gotcha, so this is normal behavior and the switch does actually have 2.5g free of memory.  Thanks!

Post your Answer

You must be logged in to post an answer.