Posted on January 21, 2019 6:38 pm
 |  Asked by Sinan Korkmaz
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hi all,

I am confused by the 7150’s datasheet about tap aggregation feature. The datasheet reads exactly as (copying):
• Advanced Monitoring and TAP Aggregation (DANZ)
• Port Mirroring M:N (4 sessions)
• SPAN/TAP M:N Aggregation

So, does that mean that there are max 4 mirror sessions wwhen the device is in Ethernet switchign mode, and this does not apply to tap aggregation mode, or does it mean that there is still a max 4 sessions limit in tap aggregation mode as well?

I am only interested in Tap Aggregation mode, by the way.

In Tap Aggregation mode, the number of sessions correspond to number of groups, or number of ports, or none?

Also about Traffic Steering, the datasheet has a star-mark and the note under teh page says that it is “not yet supported by EOS”. What does that exactly mean? No traffic steering on 7150 at all? Or any other o/s possibility exists on the platform?

I want to separate packets destined to different subnets coming from the same TAP port, directed to different TOOL ports. What I see from the guide is that traffic steering is the way to do that, am I wrong?

Many thanks,
Sinan

Answered on January 22, 2019 6:56 am

Hi Sinan,

We would like to inform you that Tap agg and mirroring session are independent of each other. And irrespective of the mode, you can configure 4 mirroring session on 7150.

The number of sessions is not related to the number of groups.

We do support traffic steering on 7150.

Following is a sample configuration:
policy-map type tapagg <>
class <>
set aggregation-group <>
class-map type tapagg match-any <>
match ip access-group <>
ip access-list <>
permit ip <> <>

Yes, you are right, you can achieve to destine the packets to different tool ports based on the subnet using traffic steering.

Siri, thank you very much for the answer.

I cannot understand one thing: “irrespective of the mode, you can configure 4 mirroring session on 7150”

In tap-agg mode, what is the “mirroring session” correspond to? In my feeling it should be some terminology ONLY valid for ethernet switching mode. What type of a limit does that bring in to the Tap-Agg mode?

Many thanks,
Sinan

(Sinan Korkmaz at January 22, 2019 7:44 am)

Hi Sinan,

A mirroring session allows you to monitor traffic in one or more ports and send the monitored traffic to one or more destination ports.

So irrespective of the mode(either ethernet switching mode or tap-agg mode), you can create a monitor session and monitor the traffic. This feature is mainly used for troubleshooting and has nothing to do with Tap Agg mode.

There can be multiple Tap-Agg groups in Tap-Agg mode.

Thanks
Nikitha

(Sri Nikitha Kalidindi at January 22, 2019 1:08 pm)

Post your Answer

You must be logged in to post an answer.