Posted on August 17, 2020 8:17 pm
 |  Asked by paul rattu
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Haven’t seen this before, but I’m getting an orange link light on port 2 of my 7160-48tc6. I unplugged the patch cable and the light is still there. Is there an error log or something I can check that tells me whats going on?

Attachments:
Posted by Vignesh
Answered on August 19, 2020 12:42 am

Hi Paul,

I understand that you see orange light on the port even if the cable on the ethernet port 2 is unplugged , can you please confirm whether the orange light stayed forever  ? Did the port came up before that  ? Was it ever linked up ?

• Usually the ports status indicated  with  Yellow / Orange / Amber if the Port is software disabled.
  • Can you please share the configs on the ethernet port 2 and check whether the et2 port is err-disabled for some reason
  • Show tech support from the switch when it still shows the Orange light would be great to have to narrow down on the issue you see , Can you please attach it here if possible

Thanks ,

Vignesh

Posted by paul rattu
Answered on August 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Hello, yes the light is still on and we're getting a status of errdisabled. We've been using this switch and that port for about a year and a half now. Here is what the config is set as for that port:
interface Ethernet2
switchport access vlan 400
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable

I'm not sure what you mean by this:
Show tech support from the switch when it still shows the Orange light would be great to have to narrow down on the issue you see , Can you please attach it here if possible

Thanks, please let me know if you need any more information.

Posted by Shreyas Ruwala
Answered on August 20, 2020 3:10 am

Hi Paul,

Show tech is a file that is generated and saved in mnt/flash of the device by exec of following command. This gives more insightful information of optic level, other config details

show tech-support | gzip > /mnt/flash/show-tech-$HOSTNAME-$(date +%m_%d.%H%M).log.gz

If that’s not possible, I would be interested to see output of following command

Switch#show interface status errdisable        <<This will give the exact reason

Br,

Shreyas Ruwala

TAC-ECC

Posted by paul rattu
Answered on August 24, 2020 4:01 pm

Here is the output for that command:

swww02#show interface status errdisable
Port Name Status Reason
---------- ---------------- ----------------- ---------
Et2 errdisabled link-flap

Posted by Atif Khawaja
Answered on August 25, 2020 2:09 am

Hi Paul,

From the look of the outputs sent by you in the thread, it looks like the link flapped for some reason within a defined time period which caused it to go err disabled. To confirm this, can you please send us the output of following commands,

1. show errdisable detect
  2. show errdisable flap-values

Also, as for the resolution please try shutting down and bringing up the link. That most probably will get the port recovered from err disabled state. If you still see it in err disabled then issue the following command,

errdisable recovery cause link-flap interval 300

The above command will try to recover the port from err disabled state after 300 seconds of it getting into err disabled state because of link flaps. You can change the timer as per you requirements.

Thanks & Regards

Atif Khawaja

Posted by paul rattu
Answered on August 25, 2020 6:23 pm

Hello, here are the results from running the show errdisable detect command:

swww02#show errdisable detect
Errdisable Reason Detection Status
------------------------------ ----------------
bpduguard Enabled
hitless-reload-down Enabled
lacp-no-portid Enabled
lacp-rate-limit Enabled
link-flap Enabled
no-internal-vlan Enabled
portchannelguard Enabled
portgroup-disabled Enabled
portsec Enabled
speed-misconfigured Enabled
uplink-failure-detection Enabled
xcvr-misconfigured Enabled
xcvr-overheat Enabled
xcvr-power-unsupported Enabled
xcvr-unsupported Enabled

Here's the results from running the show errdisable flap-values command:
swww02#show errdisable flap-values
ErrDisable Reason Flaps Time
================= ===== ====
link-flap 5 10.0

Can you tell me which command I need to run to shutdown and bring back up a specific link?

Posted by Atif Khawaja
Answered on August 25, 2020 11:40 pm

Hello Paul,

Please access interface ethernet 2 and then shut and no shut.

Switch#Config terminal

Switch(Config)#interface ethernet 2

Switch(Config-if-et2)#shutdown

Switch(Config-if-et2)#no shutdown

Switch(Config-if-et2)#exit

If this doesn't work then in global config mode, run the following command.

Switch(config)#errdisable recovery cause link-flap interval 300

The above command will try to recover the port from err disabled state after 300 seconds have elapsed. You can change this timer based on the requirements.

Please let us know if the above workarounds help. Also please note that the link might again get into err disable if there is continued flapping. This can be verified from the logs. If it happens, then please take the output of 'show logging' in a text file and upload it here.

Thanks & Regards

Atif Khawaja

Post your Answer

You must be logged in to post an answer.