This document provides the steps to fetch debug logs from Arista devices. These logs are required by the Arista WiFi TAC team at the time of troubleshooting.You can download and save a debug log for future reference. The debug logs are available in .tgz format.
There are multiple methods to fetch AP/Sensor debug logs:
- Via the UI of CloudVision WiFi (CVW) or Wireless Manager (WM). This requires the AP/Sensor and WM to be on software version 7.3 or above.
- Via the config CLI of the Arista AP/Sensor.
- Access to CVW/WM UI, if the logs are to be obtained from the UI. These logs are fetched on UDP port 3851 from the device to the Server. When you initiate fetching the debug logs from an Arista AP/Sensor, you must ensure that it is reachable over the network from the Arista server.
- config shell CLI access to the Arista AP/Sensor is required, if the logs are to be fetched via the CLI. In this case, ensure that TCP port 80 is allowed between the Arista device and the client machine being used to fetch the debug logs.
Collecting Debug Logs via CVW
- Select the required location from the Navigator hierarchy.
- Click Monitor > WiFi > Access Points
- Select the device and click Troubleshooting > Download Debug Logs option on the tool bar.
- The ‘Ongoing Activity’ dialog box appears.
- Once the logs have been collected, you will see options to Download and Delete the AP/Sensor debug logs.
- Click on Download to copy the AP/Sensor debug logs to your computer for analysis.
Collecting Debug Logs via WM
- Select the required location from the location hierarchy.
- Click Monitoring > Managed Devices.
- Select the device and click the More > Get Debug Logs option on the tool bar. The Arista Device Debug Logs dialog box appears.
- Once the logs have been collected, you will receive a notification at the upper right corner of the WM UI. Click the notification to access the logs.
- Click the Download link to copy the AP/Sensor debug logs to your computer for analysis.
Note: The Arista server retains a debug log file for 30 minutes after it is generated.
Collecting Debug Logs via the AP/Sensor CLI
- SSH to the Arista device config CLI.
- Turn ON the web server for the device so that the log file can be fetched via port TCP port 80. Enter the command
- Next, generate an HTTP URL to download the debug logs. Enter the command
The URL will have the format: http://<Arista Device IP address>/<Arista device MAC address>_logs.tar.gz
- Copy the URL and paste it in the address bar of a web browser to download the debug logs of the AP/Sensor to your computer for analysis.