Posted on April 21, 2021 9:00 am
 |  Asked by Kishan Dey
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hello Members,

One of my client is running on CVP 2018.5.1, they want us to upgrade their CVP to 2020.2.1. I have few doubts regarding the upgrade

1. If direct upgrade is possible from 2018.5.1 to 2020.2.1 ?
  2. If yes, then redirect me from where I can have the step by step procedure.
  3. If not then, what should be the path to upgrade ?
  4. I have seen system cpu, ram and disk requirement of CVP2020 is different then 2018. So, is it possible first upgrade then add resources to the VM or we need to add the resources 1st then proceed for upgrade ?
  5. Someone, suggested to build a parallel setup of CVP 2020 and then onboard devices from 2018 to 2020. Will it be a right move.

Hope for your support on this.

Regards,

Kishan

Posted by Micholl Thom
Answered on April 28, 2021 10:34 am

Hi Kishan

1. Unfortunately not.
  2. ^^
  3. I think for the version you meant you were running 2018.1.5, which means your upgrade path will be:
    1. 2018.2.5
    2. 2019.1.4
    3. 2020.1.2
    4. 2020.2.4
    5. 2020.3 and 2021.1 has been released - It is recommended to go to one of the latest versions to ensure you stay ahead.
  4. Highly recommended to upgrade the resources  first as an upgrade might fail with  limited resources.
  5. This will be your choice, you will loose your telemetry if you do that, as well as configlets etc applied. You cannot restore a backup from an older release unfortunately. So if the environment is not too complex (a big amount of configlets etc), then it would be much quicker.

One very important thing to consider is the current switch versions and Terminattr versions on the switches. Please check the release notes to ensure you are on recent version of EOS that is supported, as well as Terminattr. If you upgrade (or start up a new one) and these are not correct, you will loose the ability to manage and upgrade the switches using CVP. You must then (via CLI) upgrade Terminattr to get them on CVP again, so just have a look.

When upgrading to every version, definitely check the release notes for the requirements.

Post your Answer

You must be logged in to post an answer.