Posted on August 13, 2021 3:14 am
 |  Asked by Michael Witte
RESOLVED
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

I am having a issue in my vEOS EVPN setup trying to get MLAG working(and probably causing other issues with EVPN). MLAG is not coming up, and the system-id shows 00:00:00:00:00:00 . Also vlan 4094(MLAG vlan) is also showing  0000.0000.0000 for mac address as well as any other vlan interfaces. Doing a show version shows both hardware mac and system macs as a VMWare OUI MAC 0050.56. I have also tried a workaround to hard code the system mac as per this article https://eos.arista.com/forum/mlag-in-veos/ ([admin@localhost ~]$ echo 1122.3344.5566 > /mnt/flash/system_mac_address) using bash as well as made sure the MTU’s match.  The system and hardware MAC did indeed change but vlan interfaces and MLAG show 0000.0000.0000 which isn’t right.

The MLAG port channel also shows down with a lowerlayerdown for line protocol.

vEOS is 4.24.6M

Answered on August 13, 2021 6:23 am

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out.

Could you please provide us the output of "show tech-support | no-more" from both the MLAG devices to investigate this issue further?

Thanks,

Bhavana.

Posted by Tamas Plugor
Answered on August 13, 2021 9:34 am

Afaik MAC starting with 1122 is incorrect, you need something that doesn't set the local bit or the multicast bit, MLAG for instance expects the local bit to be 0, so 0x02 == 0, you can try something else like 5008 or 5208, or anything else that doesn't set those two bits

HTH,

Tamas

Posted by Michael Witte
Answered on August 13, 2021 3:41 pm

Thanks for the quick response! I am trying to build a VXLAN EVPN lab using CVP, Cloud builder, IPAM and CVX for our field and customers to be able use as sandboxes. Also since I changed the MAC on leaf as suggested BGP keeps crashing. I am very familar with EVPN from a Cisco side as well as Arista, just having challenges with the vEOS platform to build a lab sandbox that can be used easily which requires that it run on vCloud Director and ESXi hosts.

Attachments:
Posted by Michael Witte
Answered on August 14, 2021 1:04 am

here is the file again i did not see it post. Also this seems to affected BGP as the process seems to restart

Attachments:
Posted by Michael Witte
Answered on August 14, 2021 1:33 am

BTW here is a new show tech with the mac changed to 5008.1111.1111. Same issues

Attachments:
Posted by Michael Witte
Answered on August 14, 2021 3:34 pm

so a earlier post hasnt shown up so i am including leaf 2.  I am very familar with EVPN from a Cisco and Arista side, i am trying to make it work using vEOS. We were able to build a multisite and pass data plane traffic using Cisco v9000 switches and DCNM in vCloud Director and i am trying to build the same using vEOS CVP and Cloud builder with Arista. This is for consumption by the field as well as customers so really need help making this work.

Attachments:
Posted by Wei
Answered on August 19, 2021 2:14 pm

I am wondering if you are using the correct veos-lab image, hopefully not this file as listed in show tech flash:/EOS-4.24.6M.swi 

Posted by Michael Witte
Answered on August 23, 2021 12:57 pm

There were two problems. First in inherited the 4 spine and 4 leaf vAPP from one of the Arista "expert" here and assumed it was the vEOS lab however it was running a non vEOS-lab image. fixed that then we still could not ping across the port channel between int vlan 4094(MLAG keepalive). I found this forum post https://eos.arista.com/forum/veos-ethernet1-no-ping-between-two-switches/

Basically I had to set the native vlan on the port channel between the swithes to native vlan 4094 and I could ping and the MLAGs came up.

leaf2#sh run interfaces port-Channel 2000
interface Port-Channel2000
description mlag-portchannel
switchport trunk native vlan 4094
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk group MLAG-PEER
leaf2#

No just fighting type 2 mac addresses BGP update on one side not being advertised to the second pair of leafs. All configs appear identical.

Post your Answer

You must be logged in to post an answer.